Monday, May 10, 2010

Hot Discussion @ Coffee Day

This week I went to my native. My friends were also in native during this weekend , They called me and told that they also came to my native and asked me whether we can go out for a coffee in evening.

Around 6.45 p.m we both of us met in a coffee shop (not like city coffee day). In local language,we will call it as tea kadai It will be having only two benches.

Me and my friends occupied one of the benches in the tea shop. We started to speak about our college memories like the malpractices during exams, outings, inter college competitions etc…..

Suddenly the topic changed to the technical side. All my friends are working as a developer in a top MNC company. I am the only tester in that.

We started having a hot discussion about testing Vs development.

Friends: Machan, testing profession is waste and any one can do testing da.

Me: Can you tell me some instance.

Friend: We are working for a prestigious client in which around 200 developers were involved in the projects. But no testers were involved in my project.
Me: I am really very surprised to hear that no testers were allocated to a project in which around 200 developers were involved in it.

To get the back ground I asked my friend few questions…..

Me: How many projects are currently running for your client?
Friend: Most of the projects will be related to support and very often we will be getting a development project.

Me: Whether you will be allocating the effort for testing?
Friend: Yes, as per the standards we will be allocating 15-20% of the development effort towards testing.

Me: How will you utilize that 15-20% of the effort?
Friend: We will be utilizing those efforts for development. For testing, we will be using only 3-5%.

Me: Who will be doing the testing for those projects?
Friend: Sometimes the person who develop the code will be testing. Very rarely the peer will be do the testing.

Me: Whether we will be maintain any testing related artifacts in your project?
Friend: We will be having only functional test cases.

Me: If you have found any defects, How will you be tracking it?
Friend: No. If we have found any defects, we will be fixing the defect directly instead of wasting some time to log the defect.

Me: Have you tried deploying a tester in your project?
Friend: Yes. Once we deployed a tester in our project. But it doesn’t works out.

Me: Can you tell me the reason, why it does not work out in your project?
Friend: Our application involves backend testing. But the tester does not have enough knowledge to run even a simple SQL Query.

Me: Do you think it’s the problem with the tester?
Friend: Off course, it’s the problem of a tester.

Me: While recruiting the tester, have you explained the required competencies skills to him clearly?
Friend: No, We just asked for a tester who has 2 years of experience.

Me: You should have clearly explained the competencies skills of a tester.
Friend: Hmmm.

Me: Have you got any UAT or production defects in your project?
Friend: Yes, we have got around 120 UAT defects.

Me: Whether you have done a causal analysis?
Friend: Yes. We did it.

Me: Can you tell me which the major cause for UAT defects?
Friend: In low tone, he told “Inadequate Testing”.

Me: Do u need a better explanation to prove testers plays a vital role in the success of a project!!!!

Friend: After 2 mins of silence…

With a smile he told I will accept machan. Suddenly we heard a noise in the background. We turned and saw… It was the tea shop owner shouting at us to pay the bill and leave the shop. Because its already 10.00 p.m and he need to close the shop. My friend told he will pay the bill, I told I will pay the bill. At last one of my friend paid, who came just at that time to join us paid the bill of Rs.20 for 5 tea and we all left the place by saying Good Night!

If you would like to have a discussion with me, you can join this program. Coffee with Vijay (that’s me) @ Coffee day :-)

1 comment:

  1. A wonderful message told in a friendly way. Lets be proud of being a tester.

    ReplyDelete